The Week of Earthshock


A week full of Islam, Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Jackpots!  Our second week of 2015 was a pretty good one...




Grammar became internet worksheets on the 8 parts of speech this week with some Mad Libs.  Robert's stress levels have plummeted since we stopped Rod & Staff.  It wasn't hard in any way, just dry and repetitive.  We may pick it back up in higher levels, who knows?

He is doing a lot of reading through his other subjects (without complaint), and that makes this mama happy.

Reading with a purpose... science, math and more science.

He also does copywork for history, science and spelling.  Speaking of.... spelling is going well.  I am trying to get him to a point where he doesn't intuitively understand the rule being covered.

Cursive Practice

He is really starting to like cursive.

BOOKS READ THIS WEEK:

 




Not really much to say here.  He probably won't finish 5/4 by the end of the school year, but that's just fine with me.  He is thriving with Saxon (and my days contain far fewer meltdowns).


Our Second Grade Math

He still does the daily five-minute drills right before his math lesson.  He has learned to expect to begin his day that way.  I have learned that keeping his routine really helps us both.





This week was all about the rise and spread of Islam.  He learned about Muhammad and the importance of Mecca to Muslims.

We also read some tales of Sinbad, Aladdin and Ali Baba.



BOOKS USED FOR HISTORY THIS WEEK:

   




Continuing our Earth Science studies this year, he learned about volcanoes...

Baking Soda and Vinegar Volcano

... and earthquakes!!!

Earthquakes... toothpick/marshmallow buildings on shaking jell-o.


In his spare time, he built with his Snap Circuits!

Snap Circuit Fun


BOOKS USED FOR SCIENCE THIS WEEK:

  




Still working through Hey, Andrew! Level 2




He drew the JACKPOT card on Friday, so no school!!!


Basketball, fun while shopping and Grandma's birthday!!

That about sums up our week.  How was yours??



Linking Up At (when applicable)

4 comments:

  1. What a fun and busy week! I'm adding some of these activities to our list.
    {Checking in from Collage Fridays.} Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun week! Great photos and I love the Earthquake idea. I will have to do that with my son as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and always so engaged. I have to get better at the Science. Looks like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so fun! I don't think a boy could make a volcano too many times =) That earthquake idea is a good one. My kids would love that!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment or idea. I find most of the blogs that I follow through the comments on my own blog. No need to sign in, anonymous comments are welcome, too!! I would love to hear from you!

Don't forget to click the Notify Me box. I try to reply to all comments. Clicking this box will let you know when I do.